Ancient Divine Path Fits the Pythagorean Theorem. First, what is the theorem?
In mathematics, the Pythagorean theorem is a fundamental relation in Euclidean geometry. It is among the three sides of a right triangle. It states that the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. The theorem can be written as an equation relating the lengths of the sides a, b and c, often called the “Pythagorean equation”:
Number squares are a key part of many ancient religions. The basic number square was 3² + 4² = 5². The “octave” (numbers doubled) expression becomes 6² + 8² = 10².
Judaism, Through Number Squares, Call on Love. Compassion and Kindness
Here is but one example of how Judaism uses number squares. Many religions also use them. In ancient languages letters and numbers shared the same symbol. This was called by a Greek name, gematria. Judaism calls on the qualities in the above heading through the first 12 Hebrew words of the most sacred and key prayer: The Shema Yisroel.
שְׁמַע | יִשְׂרָאֵל, יְיָ | אֱלֹהֵינוּ, יְיָ | אֶחָֽד:
Hear O Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One. Blessed be his glorious kingdom forever and forever.
בָּרוּךְ שֵׁם כְּבוֹד מַלְכוּתוֹ לְעוֹלָם וָעֶד.
Now, refer to picture of Tree of Life above. Those who have been reading the blogs on DSOworks.com already know how ancients had the same symbol for both numbers and words. The formula for figuring out the sum any row of numbers on a number square (as per Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan) is the sum of the numbers in any row, cubed + plus the total number of numbers in that row, then divided by two. This is found in Kaplan’s Meditation and Kabbalah, p.163.
- “Love” invokes the 13 x 13 number square Thus, the characteristic number of Chesed-Love is 13 x 13 x 13+ 13/ 2 = 1105. The first 6 words of the Shema total 1106, as spelled above. One was allowed for the presence of the Blessed Name.
- The characteristic number of Netzach-Victory is 2465. As 17 x 17 x 17 + 17/ 2 = 2465. The total of the entire 12 words of the Shema is 2464. Again one is allowed, by tradition of colel, for the presence of the Blessed Name.
Ancient Divine Path is also Found by Using the 6, 8, 10 Right Triangle
The ancient divine path is all about number squares. When realized, finding the way to emanation #1 comes with a map. Here is the equation: 8² + 6² = 10². The journey requires intense effort. That is the essence of squaring numbers.
- We start the journey from Hod (8) -pictured above. We must bend from the path on the left pillar of severity (pillar defined by 8,5, and 3). Then travel in the direction of mercy on the right. If we don’t make the effort, trouble comes from being harsh and severe.
- Mercy, on the other hand, is found to the right on the tree. From emanation 8, on the left, we must travel toward emanation 6 (Tifereth).
- As pilgrims in search of love, mercy and compassion, we are then able to travel straight up to emanation #1.
When we learn to become kind and forgiving, we bend away from rigid severity on the left. We can embrace mercy. In this way we can finally be at one with our Creator. The Pythagorean equation”: has meaning on many levels. It is coded by number squares and by emanations of the Tree of Life.