Roatan Suite: Here are a dozen descriptive piano pieces that I wrote in the Summer of 2000. I was part of a theatrical troupe that toured the island.
We played at 3 different hotels. It is located off of the coast of Honduras.on the Gulf of Mexico. One of my piano students inspired me compose “something that kids could play.” This exotic island was the perfect setting. Below is the inspiration for each selection in the suite.
- Roatan Rhumba: Offers a sense of the Latin rhythms and melodies heard the island by local bands.
- Island Dreams: For natives, the main avenue to better life was being a “diving captain” for tourists. Pay was excellent. Another avenue was working on a ship.They all wished and aspired to improve their position.
- The Iguana Farm is a life altering experience. Hundreds of giant iguanas running around while a 5 year old was feeding them. Thank heavens iguanas are vegetarians.
- Children on the Beach: Who can have more fun than children on the beach splashing and playing in the sand.
- Crazy Taxis on the Island: There’s really nowhere to go but the drivers ride like every trip is an emergency. Their small cars usually stuffed atleast 10 to 15 people.
- Sunrise Worker With Machete: My wife and I were out early walking. What seemed like an army came toward us with drawn machetes. We thought we were as good as dead; however, they are very peaceful. Cutting grass on the mountain sides is how they make their living. In their other hand they held a large jug of water. My music suggests the swishing sound of their blades.
- Sauntering on the West End. Wow! You haven’t experienced life until you’ve done this. It is a beautiful stretch of art galleries by local artists, dining done right on docked ships, fortune tellers, fun, fun, fun.,,etc
- Fishng Fleet Expedition: A dozen large fishing ships left harbor in full gear. The island fishers provide fish to many American markets and major chains.
- Deep Sea Diving: Natives and tourists relish the beautiful coral reefs and colorful aquatic life in the depths of the Gulf. There is an early morning dive and evening dive. Yes, they have whale sharks! They also are said to be vegetarians.
- Town of Coxen Hole: Coxen was the pirate that first landed on the island with his cutthroat crew. The “Hole” is a term for where the pirates would drink. They didn’t drink milk! Roatan is famous for rum.
- Stroll on the Beach: Was written while my wife and I were strolling on the beach. The vista was vast, peaceful and beautiful.
- Shimmering Water on the Gulf: The waves of the ocean are depticted by the arpggios that run up and down the piano keyboard. I think this piece would even offer any concert virtuoso a challenge.
The piano music is available on the DSOworks.com website. So is my recroding of the music. Enjoy!